Saturday, July 28, 2012

In My Humble Opinion


2012 Olympic Flag Bearers


I love watching the Olympics, but I've never been a fan of the opening or closing ceremonies. It just doesn't do much for me. I didn't watch Vancouver or Beijing, and I've already forgotten what was before that (Salt Lake City?), so it obviously didn't make much of an impression.

I did, however, watch part of last night's ceremonies in London, mainly the parade of nations. I think that's the best part, since the athletes from all over the world are what the Games are all about, not singing and dancing and special effects. The little I saw was just a little...weird. I even like Mary Poppins, but somehow I wasn't impressed by her entrance, more like confused. And "Hey Jude" got old real quick. From what I hear, apparently what I missed of the ceremony was the only thing worth watching--the Queen's entrance, Mr. Bean, and the transformation of rural England to industrial England. Oh well. I can catch highlights on youtube.

I should admit, however, that I'm forgetting about the fireworks. I am a sucker for fireworks, even through a TV screen, so I was excited by the magnificent show. Seeing those aerial views was impressive and gave you an idea of how big it all really was. It looked like it was lighting up all of London! Wouldn't that have been neat to see in person?!

So back to the parade of nations, is it sad that there were several countries that I've never heard of before? Just think, there are whole nations full of thousands of people that I didn't even know existed! Should I blame my lack of geographical study, or simply being an American?

Speaking of Americans, what did you think of their Ralph Lauren apparel this year? Pretty similar to 2008, but I guess you could call it classy. At least it they didn't have huge polo emblems plastered across them. I'm certainly not up with the latest fashions, so I could (very likely) be ignorant, but I didn't know those whatchamacallem hats were the thing now? They looked almost...French...to me. I would have liked to see more red, too, not just blue and white. But what do I know. Maybe red dye is hard to come by in China.

No comments:

Post a Comment