Wednesday, April 17, 2013

A Letter to the Editor

Reading the paper this morning made me mad.

I don't usually read the paper, and I usually am not that easily angered, so it was not the best start to my morning. The article I read was about the ACLU's lawsuit over the recent bill that passed in the Arkansas legislature which bans abortions after 12 weeks, the time when a heartbeat is first detected.

I don't understand people who lobby for death and murder and then call themselves advocates of "reproductive rights" and "family planning".

I don't understand people who go to great lengths to protect unborn wildlife, but go to even greater lengths to destroy unborn human life.

Most of the article was filled with quotes from the ACLU voice, with only a brief mention of the other view, that of protecting life. I was ready to whip out pen and paper and write a letter to the editor so he'd know this slanted report wasn't the only opinion out there.

Instead, I finished making my birds nest breakfast (a Pioneer Woman recipe--normally that'd be enough to perk me up!), and turned open my Bible to 2 Kings. It just so "happens" that chapter 19 was where I left off from yesterday, the story of Hezekiah seeking Isaiah's counsel about the Assyrian king's threats against Judah. I read to verse 14, looked at that article sitting across the table, then kept reading.
"Hezekiah received the letter from the hand of the messengers and read it; and Hezekiah went up to the house of the LORD and spread it before the LORD.
And Hezekiah prayed before the LORD and said: "O LORD, the God of Israel, enthroned above the cherubim, you are the God, you alone, of all the kingdoms of the earth; you have made heaven and earth.
Incline your ear, O LORD, and hear; open your eyes, O LORD, and see; and hear the words of Sennacherib, which he has sent to mock the living God.
...So now, O LORD our God, save us, please, from his hand, that all the kingdoms of the earth may know that you, O LORD, are God alone."
Then Isaiah the son of Amoz sent to Hezekiah, saying, "Thus says the LORD, the God of Israel: Your prayer to me about Sennacherib king of Assyria I have heard.
..."Whom have you mocked and reviled? Against whom have you raised your voice and lifted your eyes to the heights? Against the Holy One of Israel!" "
2 Kings 19:14-16, 19-20, 22
I was no longer angry. I was grieved, and reminded that prayer alone is the answer. A measly letter to the editor would do nothing. So I "spread my letter before the Lord" and lifted up my voice to the Author my faith.

"Incline your ear, O LORD...that all the kingdoms of the earth may know that you, O LORD, are God alone."

No comments:

Post a Comment