Friday, August 10, 2012

"Not Today"


My friend was telling me the story of how her little sister so badly wanted a cello. Every day for six months she'd ask in her cute, high-pitched voice, "Mommy (or Daddy), may I have a cello?" And every day for six months, her parents would answer, "Not today." The next day she'd again so sweetly ask, as if she'd never asked before, and her parents would answer like they'd never heard the question.

The end of the story was....one day her daddy's answer was yes. =)

My guess is that somewhere in those 6 months I'm sure there was a day or two when her parents were annoyed, or when the little girl didn't ask so sweetly. (Though knowing them, I wouldn't be surprised if neither were true!) However, there is a still a beautiful example of patience and perseverance on each side of the story!

It made me think of how our relationship with our heavenly Father should be. Like these parents, He kindly and patiently listens to our daily requests, and answers them in His perfect timing. And like the little girl, we know we can humbly come before Him every day and send up same petition, even if we know the answer is, "Not today".

God promises to hear us, and though we don't usually understand the timing or the method, He always brings about what's best for us. Even if that means His answer is "not ever".
"Seek the LORD while he may be found; call upon him while he is near... For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, declares the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts."
Isaiah 55:6, 8-9

1 comment:

  1. What a sweet post. Thanks for the reminder.

    Emma
    http://emmavogelsang.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete