Tuesday, April 24, 2012

O Death, Where Is Your Sting?

I was writing a post in my head today about life and death; how life is just a vapor, and to die is really to live.
Some recent events over the weekend had me thinking, and today I had a scare that could’ve put me at heaven’s gate. But before I could even get it written out, another sweet life was taken up to be with Jesus.

Just five days ago it was a father of 5, a community homeschool leader, a faithful husband. Today it was a young wife and mother to a 21-month-old son.

One was gone suddenly and unexpectedly. The other after a year-long battle with cancer. What a hard day for those who knew them both, with his funeral this morning and her home-going this evening.

I’m having a hard time knowing what to write. Everything I had thought of before was erased from my mind when I heard the news that my friend was gone.

I know there’s hope in death for a believer. I know it’s a day of rejoicing in heaven. I know she and the family were prepared. But I know, just from my could’ve-been-a-close-call experience today, that you can be completely at peace about dying and still sad at the thought of leaving loved ones behind. I want to burst into tears and praise the Lord at the same time. And I suppose I can.

Thanks be to God that we can rest assured in His sovereignty and Almighty Hand, knowing all things will work out for good for His purpose and glory!
“For I am persuaded that neither death nor life…shall be able to separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.” Rom. 8:38a, 39b

No comments:

Post a Comment